Straight-forward answers to common questions about mortgages.
Why use SELFi?
This sounds too good to be true, can I trust SELFi?
We exist to provide a mortgage experience that is better, faster, cheaper. SELFi was started by Joseph Flannery, a nationally ranked mortgage adviser as verified by Scotsman Guide. Joseph started SELFi because he thought banks were too greedy on simple refinance transactions.
Is SELFi a direct lender?
How can SELFi save me an extra $53,629 on my refinance?
Does SELFi operate in my state?
We are working on expanding into more states in the near future. Let us know if you want us to get licensed in your state at hello@SELFi.com
How is SELFi different than LendingTree and Bankrate?
First, we do not sell your data to lenders, whereas LendingTree and Bankrate do. Second, you complete your application on SELFi.com as opposed to fielding 10+ phone calls from different lenders (hint: they won’t stop calling either). Third, our rates are lower and we offer wider variety of mortgage programs.
Rates and Pricing
What is the difference between interest rate and APR?
The APR represents the mortgage interest rate plus any charges.
What is a rate sheet?
What is Pricing?
What are points and credits?
Conversely, credits can be applied towards the closing costs of the refinance. Take enough credits, and all closing costs are covered. This is how you get a No-Cost Refinance. Any remaining credits can be applied towards your new escrow account, prepaid interest, or even the unpaid principal balance.
How does SELFi determine my mortgage rate?
What is the difference between a Wholesale rate sheet and Retail rate sheet?
Wouldn’t I get a lower rate working directly with one of the banks?
How are you able to offer a lower rate with my existing lender than what I was offered working directly with them?
How do you offer loan programs that my bank does not offer?
Which loan programs does SELFi specialize in?
SELFi specializes in and works with lenders that offer:
- JUMBO loan with low down payment
- Non-conforming loans for people who cannot qualify for a conventional loan.
- Conventional loans – cash-out, rate and term, purchase
- Homepossible and HomeReady
- FHA and VA
- Reverse Mortgages
If you are looking another loan program, let us know at hello@SELFi.com
You offer loan programs that banks do not. Isn't that what happened with the housing crisis?
What exactly does locking mean?
Can I pre-lock?
Can I choose a different rate or loan term after locking?
What if I need to break my lock?
How quickly can I lock my loan?
What if my rate lock expires before my loan is complete?
Fees and Closing Costs
Do you offer No-Cost refinances?
Please note, that if your application requires an appraisal, that cost would have to be paid out-of-pocket prior to the loan closing.
How much will my closing costs be?
When am I expected to pay for the appraisal?
After your loan is approved, you are required to pay for the appraisal. The cost is typically around $550 but can vary by county and property type.
When will I be expected to pay fees, if any?
What are third-party fees?
- Appraisal fee: If your loan program requires an appraisal, SELFi will check to see if you qualify for an appraisal waiver. If you do not receive a waiver, an appraisal must be completed to determine the value of your home. Payment of the appraisal is done prior to the loan closing. You will get a copy of the report.
- Credit report: We need to check your credit in order to determine as part of your loan application.
- Flood Certification: This is required to determine if your property is in a flood zone to ensure appropriate insurance coverage.
You can check today’s rates for a quick estimate of the third-party fees.
- Lenders Title Insurance: This fee ensures the lender is protected if someone later makes a claim against the title of your property.
- Recording: A fee charged by your county to officially record the mortgage.
- Escrow/Settlement: The fee paid to the escrow agent for coordinating the handling and disbursement of the funds from the lender.
- Transfer taxes (most states do not have for refinances): While most states do not have a transfer tax when refinancing, some states do such as Florida.
Is there a prepayment penalty if I refinance or sell my home?
What is included in the monthly payment?
What is an escrow account?
Do I need to have an escrow account?
What happens to my existing escrow account?
Why is the balance deposited into escrow more than my existing escrow balance?
Second, you may be running an escrow shortage with your current servicer. An escrow shortage is the result of not having enough money in your escrow account to cover the actual amount needed to pay your bills.
Will my escrow increase in the future?
Rates have nothing to do with your escrow payment. We suggest you look at your mortgage payment in two parts – principal & interest, and escrow. With a fixed rate, your principal & interest will never change. Your escrow will likely change annually.
Can I transfer my current escrow account?
Processing your Loan
After I apply online, what are the next steps?
Will I have a point of contact to guide me through the process?
For most loan applications, the processor can expertly answer all your questions. If there are special circumstances regarding your loan application, a SELFi Mortgage Coach will contact you to review your loan and provide unbiased answers and advice.
What documents are required of me for my refinance?
- Recent mortgage statement
- Photo of drivers license
- Homeowners insurance declaration page
- Last two years W-2
- Most recent three pay-stubs
- Last two months bank statements
- Owner’s title insurance (if you have it)
How quickly can I close my refinance?
If you have a second mortgage that needs to be subordinated that will add time to complete the refinance.
How will closing occur?
After your refinance is completed
Will I get to skip any payments?
Click here for a complete answer on going two months without a payment.